This homemade baking soda or clay dough for children is very easy to prepare. It is prepared with elements that we find in the kitchen, there are only 3 ingredients and one of them is water. In addition, it is an open-air drying clay. This is the best that you can find with the perfect clay making workshop singapore .
This modelling clay is one of the homemade craft supplies that we will keep in our favourites list. And it is ideal for children to make small objects such as small plates, bowls, paper treads, Christmas decorations and hanging decorations for any time of the year.
Homemade baking soda clay recipe:
- 2 cups or two parts of Sodium Bicarbonate
- 1 cup (1 part) cornstarch
- 1 1/4 (1 1/4 part) cup water
- Liquid food colouring (optional)
- Non-stick pot
- Wooden spoon
- Container or container with a lid or damp cloth
Homemade Clay Recipe for children
How to make homemade clay for children:
- Add all the ingredients in the non-stick pot and mix well
- Bring to the stove and mix continuously over low heat. About 8 to 10 minutes
- Remove from heat when it peels off easily and looks like mashed potatoes
- Let cool in the covered container or with a damp cloth. This way you prevent the clay from drying out
- When it is warm, knead very well, until obtaining a smooth dough
You can use your homemade clay the same day or store it in the fridge in tightly closed jars or a resealable plastic bag
Homemade clay for children
For multi-coloured clay, divide the dough into the number of colours you want and add a few drops of food colouring. Knead very well and that’s it. It is recommended using gloves to do this part since the food colouring could stain. You already have the dough ready for your children to do their craft projects. Once the objects are finished, you should let them dry for several hours or even several days. The time to dry will depend on the size and thickness of the object and even the weather.
Tips for working with homemade clay for children:
- When you let the objects dry after a few hours turn them over, so they dry well on both sides
- To protect the objects, once they are dry apply 2 coats of a transparent sealer varnish
- As the clay dries it shrinks a bit. If the designed piece breaks, it is repaired with a little clay with water. With the contact of water, it becomes a kind of paste, spread it where necessary and let it dry
- When they finish using the clay, put it away to prevent it from drying out
What tasks can your children do?
- Add all the ingredients and mix (not on fire)
- When the dough is cold they can help knead
- And of course, make your favourite figures with your homemade clay
By the way, you may love using it as plasticine; is that it is a very soft and easy to work dough. What do you think of this homemade craft material? Do you think your little one would like it?
Calm down and turn to yourself
Also by adding essential oils, for example, you can let a child turn to himself or make it calm by using clay. A little lavender in the clay works wonders. Children love to smell it and therefore often choose it themselves when they need a moment of rest.